Saturday, November 13, 2010

Antique finds..oh how I love thee so!

So my neighbor had a garage sale this weekend and I thought I'd go check it out and I found the coolest thing!! It's called a patty shell maker.  I'm guessing it's from the 1940's because my neighbor (who's a grandmother) was saying how she remembered when her mom used to make them when she was a kid...so a loong time ago. I thought that was so neat.  I love antiques.  I always wonder how people we're dressed during that time frame and what was going on when they used the item. I know, I know...kind of creepy. lol. I'm sure most people think "Someone else's hands touched this and now they're dead!." I have a $5.00 bill in my wallet from 1934 and I sometimes wonder what it bought while moving through circulation.  In the 1930's $5.00 was enough to buy a pair of eye glasses. I'm sure someone had to have bought new spectacles with the $5.00 that's in my wallet. lol, moving back to the patty shell makers. They seem pretty simple and have the original instructions with them but it's torn in pieces and very very worn.  Maybe the mom got mad at the kids and said "I'm never making patty shells again!!" and ripped up the directions! hmph! done and done! Luckily my bag of goodies has a someone updated version of the patty shells and those instructions are still intact. I looked online and you can fill them with different things like creams, cheeses, jams. I guess it's basically like a pastry shell. The way the neighbor described them was they we're like hard cookies and you sprinkle powdered sugar on them.  I'll try both ways and post updated pics soon!  Here's my nifty finds!




No comments:

Post a Comment